Family Guide to Hurricane Preparedness
Hurricane season is the particular time in the calendar when hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions are most likely a threat to hit land. The specific time varies in North American based on location. The time of year ranges from June to November. These are the months where hurricanes are most likely to hit locations in the areas near the Atlantic Ocean.
Historically, the coastal towns on the Atlantic Ocean are most at risk of being hit by a hurricane. However, damage from heavy rain and wind can also reach many inland locations. Additionally, another risk for these areas are from flooding that comes from heavy rain in a short period of time.
Hurricanes and tropical storms and depressions can be extremely dangerous for people. Unless you are prepared for the potential damage, you could be at risk for damage to property or even loss of life. To be safe and secure, preparing for the storm is your best bet. Depending on the severity of the storm, you may be told to leave the area or make preparations to secure your home.
To learn more about preparing for hurricanes or tropical storms, we have assembled a selection of helpful webpages. Please feel free to utilize this information as you see fit and share with others who may use this to stay safe during hurricane season.
- Hurricane Season and What to Expect
- National Hurricane Center
- When is Hurricane Season
- Prep for a Power Outage in Hurricane Season
- Hurricane Basics
- How to Prepare For a Hurricane
- Staffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale
- How To Prepare for Hurricane Emergencies
- Hurricane Safety Tips and Resources
- Keeping Children Safe After a Hurricane
- Hurricane Safety Resources
- Hurricane Safety Checklist
- Hurricanes and Other Tropical Storms
- Disaster Preparedness for Pets
- Pets Safety During Hurricane
- Hurricane Preparation What to Do
- How Hurricanes Form
- Prepare Your People for Hurricane Safety K-12 Schools
- Hurricane Disaster Supply Kit
- Hurricane Safety for Kids
- Keeping Children Safe in a Hurricane
- All About Hurricanes for Kids
- Kids Hurricane Safety Tips
- Preparing Your Child for a Hurricane
- How to Prepare Your Family for a Hurricane
- How To Prepare Students for a Hurricane
- Business Checklist for Hurricane Preparation
You are well on your way toward protecting your staff and organization.
Take the next step toward protecting your organization by learning more about emergency notification systems and the vital role they play in your emergency preparedness plan.